Graphic Content

Monday, March 27, 2006

The Nature of Brotherhood

Being in Canada has plenty of perks. Universal health insurance (which ain't as free as I keep hearing). The ability to be aware of the world outside my borders. Smarties. I'm sure there are others. But we miss out on some things. Premium channels being high on my list. Sure, I could spring for a satellite system, but why do that, when I can download entire seasons for free. Free TV for the masses! I'm currently watching three shows via torrents. and Sports Night, Sleeper Cell and Entourage. I mentioned my love for Sports Night in an earlier post, so suffice it to say, it's a fast-paced, dialogue-heavy comedy from Aaron Sorkin.

Sleeper Cell
is a Showtime original series about an FBI agent (Michael Ealy) in deep cover, infiltrating an Islamic extremist brotherhood. In order to keep his cover, he has to participate in terrorist activities and contribute to planning attacks on American soil. That's another perk about being Canadian. Nobody wants to attack us, because nobody gives a shit. The show focusses on Darwyn (Ealy), and his triple-life. Life A: FBI superstar, the best chance they have to stop new attacks. Life B: Ex-con, putting his life back together, with the help of a good woman (Melissa Sagemiller). Life C: Holy warrior, working with a veritable Islamic rainbow, run by Farik (Oded Fehr). Adding interest to the story is the fact that Darwyn is a Muslim in his own life as well, and his faith is continually tested on all sides. This all makes for excellent drama, and what I'm sure will be a fantastic climax (I haven't finished yet).

Entourage is one of those shows you keep hearing about, but never bother looking for in the TV Guide. Well, seeing that I don't have HBO, I decided to look for it online, and lo and behold, I had season one loaded the next morning. It's a very funny show about the day to day dealings in Hollywood for a new star and his three man crew. Vinnie Chase (Adrian Grenier) is fresh off a hit movie opposite Jessica Alba (oh, I should mention now that the show is peppered liberally with big name cameos), and looking for his next script. His manager (Kevin Connolly) is his best friend growing up in Queens, and looks out for career mistakes he could be making. His brother (Kevin Dillon, himself a brother to a star), is just trying to hang on to an acting career that Vinnie's table scraps provide. Turtle (Jerry Ferrara), is just along for the ride and all the money and poontang he can get away with. These brothers-in-arms go everywhere together, live in the same house, and eat every meal at a table for four. Doing his best impression of a hammerhead shark is Ari (Jeremy Piven), uber-agent extraordinaire. Gladhand you one minute, stab you with a ballpoint pen the next, he sweeps through every scene like a Class 5 hurricane. As he said to Gary Busey, "You're about to spin off this planet, I love it."

Oh, I just thought of another one. The IT Crowd is a BBC series centering around the three-person IT department at a large company. This is a delightfully silly show, with some zany characters (did I just say zany? Hmm, I guess I did), and hilarious writing. It also features a boss that feels like he stepped out of a Kids in the Hall sketch, and that's a good thing in my book. Unfortunately, the BBC likes to tease viewers with seasons that last for six episodes, then go away until you forget them. That's happening to me now with Extras, the latest effort from The Office's Ricky Gervais. I guess that's yet another one. He's working on season two, but I'll have forgotten by then.

So, to sum up, shows you should check out, either by springing for the pay-TV, or just getting on the old LimeWire: Sleeper Cell, Entourage, Sports Night, The IT Crowd and Extras. Is that enought for you? Well it's never enough for me. Next I'm going to look for the live action Tick series, and maybe get some old Duckman eps. Any other advice?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home