Graphic Content

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Prefacing my Reviews

The two reviews I have offered so far, have not really been positive, so I just wanted to offer this group of films that I have enjoyed lately.
  1. The Matador - Pierce Brosnan plays deliciously against type as a hitman who has lost his taste for the job, and Greg Kinnear foils nicely as a salesman who makes a lasting impression on him.
  2. Hustle & Flow - A rough-edged pimp, played by Oscar-nom Terence Howard, tries to turn his life around as a rapper. Helped by his stable of ho's, and church music producers Anthony Anderson and DJ Qualls (who is not a real DJ, by the way), he attempts the straight life, but finds old habits die hard.
  3. OldBoy - This Korean import is a film about revenge, as a man is imprisoned for 15 years, released, and given a week to figure out who did it and why. The ending is a twist worthy of Shyamalan (is that how it's spelled? Whatever).
  4. Narnia - These were the first serious books I read as a child. I had the whole set, and worried about a Disneyfied version ruining my memories of them. I needn't have worried, though. I look forward to the next one being just as magical.
  5. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang - Far be it from me to dismiss something simply because it stars Robert Downey Jr. and Val Kilmer, but I really enjoyed this modern take on film noir. The dialogue was biting, and although the story was jumpy, I can't help but love when, during a flashback, the narrator tells two extras who wander in front of the camera to, "get the fuck out of the way," and of course do so immediately.
  6. Crash - I liked most of the Best Picture noms, but I was surprised and pleased that Crash walked away with it. It may not have been a beautifully filmed epic love story, but what it did have was a plethora of complex characters, each one a study of flaws and redemption.
  7. A History of Violence - David Croenenburg's tale of small town upheaval was so understated, I was shocked to learn it was a graphic novel. Viggo Mortenson, once so formidable as Aragorn, hits the other extreme as the quiet cafe owner. He was robbed for a Best Actor nod.
  8. The 40-Year-Old Virgin - I don't often see a movie more than once. I rarely see one more than twice. I have seen this one 4 times, and I don't even own it. This is a defining comedy, along the vein of Ace Ventura, Something About Mary, or Old School. Not just a hilarious movie, but touching, in its own way. I watched Steve Carrell on The Daily Show, and I couldn't be happier for his success. He's the new Ben Stiller.
  9. Sin City - Man, did this movie ever kick ass! Stylish to the point of distraction, one of the greatest casts ever assembled, and non-stop awesomeness. Stop me if I'm gushing. I await the sequel with baited breath.
  10. Kung Fu Hustle - Did you like Shaolin Soccer? Then you will enjoy this map-cap (do people still say map-cap?) martial arts import. The action borders on hokey, but if you allow yourself to sit back and watch, then it's a lot of fun.
OK, I figure ten is enough, but I also liked Lord of War, Batman Begins, Corpse Bride, Waiting, Wallace and Gromit, King Kong, Munich, Serenity and Syriana. Is that enough to keep you inside for the next couple of months? Let me know if there's a movie you think I'd enjoy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home